Saturday 15 September 2007

Welcome to the Land of Beer and Chocolate

Day One - Brussels

Sorry for the delay in getting my first post up. The guidebook warned that Internet cafes are in short supply in Belgium and they weren't kidding. And the one LP suggested doesn't exist! (Yes, Lying Planet strikes again!)

I took Greyhound from Ottawa to Dorval. It got me there about 5 hours before my flight, but the next bus would have left the connection too tight for a charter.

I was able to check-in my luggage with Air Transat right away, which was nice. The wait didn't drag on, and the bonus is that I ended up with a great window seat right at the front of the plane (so relatively quiet and about as far away from the bathrooms as you can get!!!) I slept for a solid 4.5 hours on the 6 hour flight, which was part of my master plan because we landed in Brussels National Airport at about 8:30am.

Breezed through customs and changed into some city clothes before catching the train to Central Station in Brussels. The ride took just 20 minutes. I hadn't booked a hotel/hostel in advance, so I locked up my luggage and set out to explore the Grand Place (the heart of the medieval town centre). I managed to book a 4-star hotel in a great central location (single with my own bathroom) for just 60 euros.

I have to admit that I didn't have the most productive day. I sort of wandered around the old town like a zombie. The streets are very confusing, and I spent a lot of time getting lost and finding my way again. The old sites are very interesting, and the free chocolate samples were delicious! The beer is also a treat -- the country has about 600 domestic brews on offer, and I'm a big fan of the fruity Belgian beers to begin with. I tried Morte Subite's Kriek Extreme yesterday and that's one of the brews I'm planning to bring some home with me. Now I just have to figure out how to take lots of beer back with me... any suggestions?

I did manage to squeeze in a few sites on my first day in Brussels, including:

Grand Place
Once the economic and political heart of Brussels. Baroque and gothic architecture -- the old guild halls and the town hall (15th C) were really nice to see. The first cobblestones were apparently laid in the square in the 12th Century.

Cathédrale des Sts Michel & Gudule
This was constructed over three centuries, beginning in 1226. Brabant Gothic architecture. Among the highlights were the elaborate oak confessionals, and the gargoyles on the exterior of the cathedral.

St-Catherine & St-Géry
Two of the oldest quarters, but are now the most contemporary parts of town. Brussels was actually founded on the site of Place St-Géry.

I'll post Day Two -- Bruges and Ghent -- in a separate blog post. Stay tuned!

No comments: